About importing residents
Importing residents allows you to fill the residents list right from the start (if you've just made a new website), or complete the residents list with households who haven't yet registered manually. When you import residents, they're each given a new account just like if they had registered themselves. They'll automatically be sent a welcome email with information about what the account is for, how they received the account, and how to log in using a randomly generated temporary password. Here's an overview of how the process works:
Overview of process
- First, download the import template file. The template varies slightly based on which country you're located in. You'll download the template as a CSV file, which can be opened in most any spreadsheet editor (like Microsoft Excel, Apple Numbers, or Google Sheets). The first row contains the column headers; be sure not to remove or modify this row in any way.
- You now need to add one household per row, starting with the second row. In our system, accounts are designed to represent one household. This means there's room on each account for both the account holder's and their spouse's names, along with contact information for both.
- Certain columns require choosing from a limited set of abbreviations, so be sure to use the appropriate abbreviations for these columns on each row. You can read more about these here.
- It's recommended that the first set of address columns is used for addresses located within your community. The second set, or the "alternate" set, is great residents who don't reside year-round in your community.
- Save the file and make sure it's still a CSV file. Now you're ready to upload it.
- Move on to the next step, choose your CSV file, and continue to the review step.
- The review step allows you to preview the information you provided for each household, and see any errors that we found. We'll spot errors like invalid abbreviations, missing required columns, and more.
- Every error must be resolved before you can complete the import process. If our system has identified errors, please fix them in your CSV file, return to the previous step, and re-choose the file. The errors should be descriptive, but if you have trouble with certain errors, please contact us.
- Once there are no more errors, and you've double checked the information, you can import the residents into your website. We'll create accounts for each household and send a welcome email to the account holder's email address
Required information to be filled out on the spreadsheet:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Street address
- Zip code