About importing residents
Importing residents allows you to fill your community's resident directory right from the start (if you've just made a new website), or complete the residents list with households who haven't yet registered manually. When you import residents, they're each given a new account just like if they had registered themselves. They'll automatically be sent a welcome email with information about what the account is for, how they received the account, and how to log in using a randomly generated temporary password. Here's an overview of how the process works:
Overview of process
- First, go to the "Residents" section in your Admin Control Panel and download the import template file. The template varies slightly based on which country you're located in. You'll download the template as a CSV file, which can be opened in most any spreadsheet editor (like Microsoft Excel, Apple Numbers, or Google Sheets). Note: The first row contains the column headers; be sure not to remove or modify this row in any way!
- You will now want to add one household per row, starting with the second row. In our system, accounts are designed to represent one household. This means there's room on each row for both the account holder and their spouse's names and contact information.
- Certain columns require choosing from a limited set of abbreviations, so be sure to use the appropriate abbreviations for these columns on each row. You can read more about these here.
- It's recommended that the first set of address columns is used for addresses located within your community. The second set, or the "alternate" set, is great for residents who don't reside year-round in your community or for anyone who has a second address within your community.
- Before saving your file, make sure that any additional empty rows on the spreadsheet have been deleted.
- You will now want to save your file as a CSV file. Once you've done this, you're ready to upload!
- Return to the "Import Residents" page and click on the dark blue "Ready to upload" button.
- Next, click on the "Choose file..." button and select your saved CSV file. Afterwards, click on the dark blue "Continue to review" button.
- The review step allows you to preview the information you provided for each household, and see any errors that our system has found. We'll spot errors like invalid abbreviations, missing required columns, and more.
- Every error must be resolved before you can complete the import process. If our system has identified errors, please fix them in your CSV file and repeat steps 7 & 8. The errors should be descriptive, but if you have trouble with certain errors, please contact us.
- Once there are no more errors, and you've double checked the information, you can import the residents into your website by clicking on the dark blue "Import and notify residents" button.
- We'll now create accounts for each household and send a welcome email to the account holder's email address.
Required information to be filled out on the spreadsheet:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Street address
- Zip code
- Unit Number will be required if you've added this requirement from the "Settings" section of the Admin Control Panel.